Friday, April 10, 2009

Grow little veggies, grow!

I am excited about the new things in my garden! My cucumbers are growing and look pretty good so far, maybe the chives I interplanted with them are helping as they usually get a disease of some sort and wither away before I can harvest anything. I read tonight that cucumbers and squash like cold, wet feet and perfectly dry sunny leaves. I have to move my container out of the sprinkler's path if I want them to thrive and not end up with powdery or downy mildew. I may need to do some hand pollinating as well...I've never done that but it's not difficult from what I have read. My tomato plants have little green tomatoes on them, and my pepper plants have some blooms on them. My mesclun, dill and parsley have sprouted as have my corn and beans. My basil is wonderful, I will have enough to make pesto this coming week!
I didn't get my watermelon and okra planted yet, I may be able to do this tomorrow after I get back from Southwest Florida Herb Day. It is being put on by my county's Master Gardeners and looks like it will be a fun and informative morning. I am sure I will come back with a few plants! I bought thyme and lavender plants last weekend. A lot of people say that you can't grow lavender down here, but you can. You just have to create a microclimate for it and give it lots of love. A fellow GardenWeb member stated in a post two weeks ago "The best gardeners are fearless." I am taking that mantra to heart and hope to have a wonderful harvest in the coming weeks and months. Happy Gardening!

No comments: