Sunday, December 14, 2008

A busy weekend and some pictures to share.












Sunday is never a day of rest for me. There is always too much to do around the house to get ready for the upcoming week of work and school plus do the things I want to do, like play in the dirt and make soap. Saturdays are somewhat busy too, but a lot of that time is spent running around town. I did make a batch of hot-process soap Saturday morning before I went and checked out a craft show with my 8 year old daughter. I had considered having a booth at this one but when the husband got laid off I decided against it. I think I made a good decision because there weren't a lot of people there. There were some very lovely things at the booths - lots of handmade jewelry, felted purses, repurposed furniture that was just gorgeous and another local soapmaker. I love talking to other soapmakers; and while yes, there is competition because we are making the same thing, we are each unique in our methods, recipes, etc. We chatted about 15 minutes and I bought a bar of her soap. It smells really great and I can't wait to try it tomorrow. After the show we went to Jo-Ann's and shopped for a bit of crafty stuff...I did have my trusty 50% off coupon and spent less than $10. :) A stop at the library was next on the agenda then we were homeward bound.

Today was garden day. My deck box full of mesclun was getting crowded, so I thinned it out by transplanting some of the seedlings into bigger pots and harvesting quite a bit of the greens. They are safely tucked in a dishtowel in my fridge awaiting the salad bowl tomorrow night. I also transplanted some basil, cilantro and chive seedlings; I think I am going to have a great crop from these three. I also sowed some more seeds, and although I am a bit late in the season I know I can have a nice harvest in a few months. Italian parsley, tomato and cucumber seeds were the choices today. The tomato varieties are Manalucie, West Virginia Hillbilly and St. Pierre. Lemon, Burpee Picklebush and Poinsett 76 cucumber seeds are also settling into their new home (also known as a Jiffy Greenhouse). I hung two paper lanterns on the lanai to go with our new (to us) patio furniture we got Friday. It's kind of homey out there now and I really like it. I juiced the remaining Meyer lemons and put almost a quart of juice in the freezer. A little laundry and a little housework are always on the to-do list on Sundays...it seems like it's never done.

I'm going to play checkers with Emily and watch the Survivor finale, then it's time to start all over again tomorrow morning. I'm posting pictures of some soaps I recently made plus some pictures from Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's farm. One of them is of a fox squirrel that comes right up on their porch - Aunt Delta feeds it (shhh, don't tell anyone!); and the rest are pictures of her roses, which I absolutely love.

No comments: